We understand that if you are new to buying a cold plunge or ice bath you may have a lot of questions. To help your process we have created this page to help answer the most commonly asked questions. If your question hasn’t been answered on this page please submit your question or give us a call at +1 833 424 7713. We are here to help you and want to make sure you are confident with your decision!
What is cold plunging?
Cold plunge, also known as cold water immersion, is a type of therapy that involves immersing the body in cold water for a brief period of time. The water is typically between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit (10 to 15 degrees Celsius) and the immersion usually lasts for 2 - 10 minutes.
The theory behind cold plunge therapy is that exposure to cold water can stimulate the body's natural healing mechanisms and promote various health benefits. Some of the potential benefits include:
- Improved circulation
- Reduced inflammation
- Increased metabolism
- Improved immune function
- Increased alertness and focus
- Reduced stress and anxiety
It is often used by athletes or fitness enthusiasts as a way to speed up recovery after exercise or to enhance physical performance. Cold plunging is not limited to athletes and due to the health benefits has gained popularity for non-athletes
However, it is important to note that cold plunge therapy may not be suitable for everyone, especially those with certain medical conditions, so it is recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before trying it.
How often should I cold plunge?
There is no exact number on how often you should do cold therapy in a week. Studies do say that health benefits are noticed when you perform cold therapy at least four days a week on average. As always, start slowly if you are new to this therapy. If you are a beginner start with trying it two to three times a week. This will help build consistency and slowly make it become a habit.
If you are performing intense physical activity it is best to hop in the cold bath quickly after you are finished. Maximum benefits are reached if you submerge yourself right after doing exercise. This will eliminate soreness in your muscles and prevent you from getting cramps.
How is an ice bath better than a cold shower?
With a cold shower you aren’t fully emerged in water as you would be in an ice bath. By having your entire body submerged it activates the benefits of cold therapy. Also the shower doesn’t provide a consistent cold temperature and the natural pressure of being submerged in water. Cold plunging allows you to experience penetrating and sustainable cold through your entire body. This can not be accomplished when taking a cold shower.
What are the benefits of ice baths?
There are many benefits that are related to doing cold plunge therapy.
1. Helps boost your daily energy and focus. During a cold bath the release of norepinephrine increases which is the hormone responsible for controlling your focus and energy.
2. Builds a stronger immune system. By immersing yourself in cold water you stimulate leukocytes which are the white blood cells that help fight off sicknesses.
3. Helps speed your physical recovery. Cold exposure can help increase oxygenated blood flow which allows your muscle to recover fast and diminish soreness.
4. Improves your mental strength. Consciously deciding to submerge yourself into cold water is a challenge and once overcome will make you a more disciplined person.
5. Can increase your mood and decrease stress and anxiety. Cold therapy allows you to practice regulating your sympathetic nervous system and in return allows you to be better equipped to handle stress.
6. Improves Sleep. Cold therapy allows your body temperature to decrease and as a result releases melatonin.
7. Lose weight and burn body fat. When the body is cold it starts burning calories and fat cells to keep warm.
Is cold plunging safe?
Yes, cold plunging is safe and healthy if you make sure you follow the correct method. It is necessary you follow the guidelines when it comes to temperature and time spent in the tub. Most importantly, listen to your body and always get out when you feel uncomfortable.
What is a good temperature for an ice bath?
Your max temperature for your ice bath should be 60°F (15.5°C). If you go above this you won’t get the cold plunge benefits. When starting out it’s best to be closer to 60°F and lower the temperature over time as you build a tolerance. If you are someone that has had experience with cold plunging it’s typical to have temperatures between 40-50°F (4-10°C).
How long should I cold plunge for?
The recommendation is to stay fully-submerge in your ice bath for around 2-10 minutes. If you are a beginner or just starting to get into cold plunging it’s good to try shorter segments and gradually build up to longer times. It is important to understand how your body responds to the cold and not to push yourself past what feels comfortable. Be patient, your tolerance will build over time, so don’t feel rushed. Being submerged in cold temperatures too long can put you at risk so always listen to your body.